Experienced state of health
Increase your health capital
More than a third of Finns experience their health to be moderate at most. Regardless of illness and partially lowered work capacity, it is often possible to continue working.
An experienced state of health is a simple health indicator that provides a general evaluation of your own physical and mental state of health. Your evaluation of your own state of health is a general question used in different kinds of health-related studies.
Your evaluation of your own state of health is often formed based on your own experiences, for example compared to your age group.
Experienced wellbeing = experienced quality of life = experienced state of health
Each of us defines their state of health in their own way, and this definition is eventually the most important one. Your own experienced health may be different from the doctor’s evaluation and other people’s conceptions.
You may feel healthy even if you have severe disabilities or illnesses that are being treated. Your own evaluation is strongly influenced by your goals and in what kind of environment you live in.
Are you saving or using your health capital?
Health is a part of life’s capital that you collect and lose from your mother’s womb to old age. Researchers of aging say that your capital is at its best around the age of 30. Until then it grows, and after that it decreases more than it accumulates.
Your present health is based on everything that has happened before this, and the decisions you make and actions you take today affect your future health.
The more health capital you have, the longer you can be in control of your own life, instead of at the mercy of others.
Test whether you have long-term health
- You enjoy your job very much. You belong to the 90 % of people who would recommend their own job to their friends.
- You have less physical and psychological problems than others. You catch contagious diseases less often than others.
- Your work is a challenge where you can use your own skills.
- You feel needed.
- You have an optimistic outlook on the future.
- You maintain a pleasant work climate.
- You exercise almost daily.
- You experience a strong feeling of belonging.